From Central California and Northern England, two aspiring writers natter and share a blog. We like to talk about our disparate but oh-so-similar lives, offer opinions on literature and movies... and endlessly reminisce about Bioware RPG's.


We hope you haven't had enough of our disingenuous assertions. If you have, please don't hit us.

Friday, March 12, 2010

KotOR Replay: Part Two: "Maybe next time, shlummie!"

I find it flattering that Carth Onasi decided to wait for me, even though I was the last crewman on board. He tells me that he's been keeping an eye on me through the ship's sensor, which he uses to help me defeat a contingent of Sith troopers. Why he didn't think to use those sensors to warn Trask of the Dark Jedi behind that door, I'll probably never know. But he did the same thing I would have done in his position.

Let's face it, Trask belongs in that Special Hell that Shepherd Book talked about.

We make it to the surface of Taris and Carth starts to lay out the situation. I start to remember why I love this man so much. It's clear that Raphael Sbarge took this role very seriously, and I've yet to hear any video game voice actor come even remotely close to matching what he did here with Carth. He has such a broad range here, it's amazing.

I also have to point out the music that plays in the abandoned apartment. This song conjures so many emotions it would be difficult to list them all. The apartment is where I first discovered how in depth the dialogue options can be, and it awestruck me. Have that song downloaded on my computer and I play it way more often than I should.

Anyway, I start making my way through Taris with Carth in tow. This city could have benefited from a few landmarks, because even now on my fifth or sixth playthrough I still get turned around here. Way too much blue, and all the doors and buildings look alike. But, to be honest, this wasn't a habit that Bioware shook off until Mass Effect 2.

I talk to the doctor, pick up the rakghoul serum quest, and immediately go to the next apartment complex to get me some Sith uniforms. The soldier guarding the Lower City elevator doesn't seem to notice that even though I'm disguised as one of them, Carth, however, is not. He more or less waves as we pass him by.

At the bottom of the lift, I clear out all the baddies in the next apartment complex to get my level up again. At the Lower City Cantina, I witness the stout awesomeness of Calo Nord. As Mister Buch has pointed out, he's the perfect killing machine: able to lure his victims in with humor before he guns them down. I always have to push my luck, and keep talking to him until he counts down to "Two." When he gets there, I back off.

"Smart."

Meet up with Mission Vao and Zaalbar for the first time. I still think it odd that Bioware decided to pair me and Carth up with an underaged member of a race universally seen as purveyors of sex.



I go about my business, take out a few more Black Vulkars, then return to the Upper City once I remember that I haven't bought that pazaak deck from that old guy. I loves me some pazaak. It's like a cool man's version of blackjack.

After visiting the Hidden Bek base and getting chewed out by Gadon's bodyguard, I head down to the Undercity to look for Mission, who I had just parted ways with. Jeeze.

Ride the lift down and I am accosted by a couple of beggars. I make threats I was perfectly willing to act on, and they go running.

"RUN, BROTHER! FLEEEE THIS ONE'S WRATH!"

1 comment:

  1. And did you know that very same Sith elevator guard went on to voice Loghain?

    ReplyDelete