From Central California and Northern England, two aspiring writers natter and share a blog. We like to talk about our disparate but oh-so-similar lives, offer opinions on literature and movies... and endlessly reminisce about Bioware RPG's.


We hope you haven't had enough of our disingenuous assertions. If you have, please don't hit us.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening: "The First Ten Hours

If there's one thing that can be said for Dragon Age: Origins, it's that its graphics aren't up to par with the current generation. This is probably how we've gotten this expansion, Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening, so quickly; the game is easily thrown together. But if what I've played is any indication, I wouldn't mind an expansion every six months. This game is marvelous.

The expansion picks up a short time after the main game left off. You are now the Warden-Commander of the Ferelden army. The Crown has sent you to the Arling of Amaranthine to oversee the beginning stages of a Grey Warden-ruled countryside where the now-deceased Arl Howe (see: Tim Curry) used to be in control. But as soon as you arrive, something is amiss. The darkspawn haven't retreated back underground like the entire plot of the last game insinuated they would. Now, in fact, they are more organized than ever. It sucks to be you.

I'm about ten hours into it right now, and I've seen no indication that it could be ending anytime soon. There is so much to do here, and I'm almost happy to do all of it. The new party members are a joy, comparable to those of the main game. The storyline is more believable, if I might use that word to describe a fantasy setting. It's a bit darker, more cohesive, more confidently-written.

It also seems that Bioware took a page out of Assassin Creed II's playbook and have literally given you a small country to rule over. Everyone in Amarantine answers to you, and to you alone. You will solve disputes over land, family feuds, military deployment, defense...it's all up to you. This expansion does a fine job making you feel LIKE A BAWSS! In this sense, it also seems that Bioware have been looking to their own Mass Effect 2 for guidance, since there is a threat on the horizon that will do some major damage if you aren't properly prepared. So, take no quest for granted, and do your best to keep everyone in line for when that time comes: or else. Or else what? Exactly.

There are other small improvements that make a really big difference (see what I did there?), such as an increased level cap, more unique weapons and armor, more specializations AND talents, the ability to runecraft, and so on. I didn't know how much I wanted these things until I had them. And, last but not least, a chest where you can store your items. Yes! Equipment management is made that much easier by this alone! Gah!

My grievances with the game are the same as what they were before. I don't so much mind the graphics, but the lack of significant detail here compared to say...Oblivion, really makes me aware that I'm playing a game at times. Add this to the ever-present loading screens, the inability to walk over some hills, the detached and sometimes reused zones, and it feels like I'm playing a series of stages akin to Super Mario or some such, certainly not fantasy-adventure. It doesn't feel like I'm adventuring anywhere.

That's what I like about Bethesda's games. The loading screens are few, the worlds are vast, and there's a slight chance that you can get lost. And that's the whole point of traveling and exploring, isn't it?

All that aside, I really am enjoying this expansion. It honestly doesn't even feel like an expansion; it feels like a sequel. Time will tell how I'll really feel once this comes to an end, but I'm loving how my story is continuing on so seamlessly within the context of this world and lore. I'll be posting a full review as soon as I finish it.

1 comment: