From Central California and Northern England, two aspiring writers natter and share a blog. We like to talk about our disparate but oh-so-similar lives, offer opinions on literature and movies... and endlessly reminisce about Bioware RPG's.


We hope you haven't had enough of our disingenuous assertions. If you have, please don't hit us.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

After Five Years: My Greatest Work Is Compleeeteeed!

Five years ago, I played Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic for the first time. It was that hallelujah moment where everything in my life started to make actual sense. I knew, from then on out, I wanted to be a writer (or work for Bioware, whichever came first).

To sort of keep the memory of my KotOR experience alive, I started working on my own little prequel story to the game. Now, I put a lot into this thing. I played the game again to take more notes on the details of Revan's life as a Sith Lord, I bought a copy of the Star Wars Chronology (which is actually pretty fascinating), and I even carried around a printed copy of Darth Revan's wikipedia article at school to study. I was obsessed, that's for sure, but I regret none of it.

Eventually, I got to work on the actual story, working every night for weeks until I had over 20,000 words worth. But I couldn't keep up the momentum. After months of working on it, I let it go. I let it all go, actually. I stopped looking for news of a possible KotOR 3 and I let my whole Star Wars fandom slip by the wayside. But that was until I read Star Wars: Shatterpoint and Revenge of the Sith by Matthew (Fucking) Stover. My passion for that universe had been renewed, and I started writing my little prequel again last April of 2009.

Eleven months and 100,000 words later, I finally finished it. This was the story that I've always wanted to write, and even though it's fanfiction, I cherish everything that has come to inspire it into existence.

Very glad it's over, and I'm naive enough to think that something good might come of it, but that's just how I roll. Bioware, Mr. Karpyshyn, Mr. Gaider, and Mr. Buch--this one's for you!

Revan's Shadow

No comments:

Post a Comment