From Central California and Northern England, two aspiring writers natter and share a blog. We like to talk about our disparate but oh-so-similar lives, offer opinions on literature and movies... and endlessly reminisce about Bioware RPG's.


We hope you haven't had enough of our disingenuous assertions. If you have, please don't hit us.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Knight's Year of Reading: How LucasArts and BioWare Made More Money Off Of Me

Didn't read as many books as I should've this year, but most of them were definitely quality...and most of them were by Matthew Stover. Don't think I need to go back over just how much I love that guy's books, what they mean to me, etc. Again, I'll say say this: I read SHATTERPOINT and REVENGE OF THE SITH and they inspired me to write two novels (280,000 words total). That's how much.

S'why I'm glad I got the opportunity to read three great books by the Grandmaster this year, and some other great books that I'd happily recommend to anyone. There were a few stinkers, but I'll get to those.

DRAGON AGE: THE STOLEN THRONE
by David Gaider
(3/5 Stars)

Most of the beginning of this year was spent dealing with the aftershocks of BioWare's two major releases, DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS and MASS EFFECT 2. I thoroughly enjoyed ME2, but DA:O might as well have been a religious experience for me, because I could not get enough of it. My way of dealing with all the excitement I was feeling was to buy Lead Writer of DA:O David Gaider's prequel novel, THE STOLEN THRONE.

Buch and I both read this book at the same time, and we were both pleasantly surprised. The lore was greatly expanded upon, Ferelden got a backstory worthy of retelling, and just brought a lot of things together, particularly in the way of Loghain and Maric's relationship. There were some great scenes, but A LOT of battles, some of them tedious to get through. But this was a great book. Can't quite recommend it to anyone who isn't a fan of DA, but there ya go.


STAR WARS: TRAITOR
by Matthew Stover
(5/5 Stars)

I had put off reading this one since it's technically the thirteenth book in a the NEW JEDI ORDER series. I felt some obligation to read the other books, but I'm glad I finally talked myself into picking it up. Wow. This isn't so much a Star Wars novel than it is an experience. Jacen Solo's trials in the Embrace of Pain are some of the most chilling scenes I've read in a book. Not only that, but it posed a few philosophical questions that really just rocked my universe.

I really recommend this book. Yes, it's the thirteenth book in a series, but there are only a few things that might make you scratch your head if you're not familiar with the timeline. This story is worth dealing those brief moments of bewilderment.


STAR WARS: LUKE SKYWALKER AND THE SHADOWS OF MINDOR
by MATTHEW STOVER
(5/5 Stars)

Every time I read a Stover book, there's that moment afterward where I just feel like he's written my favorite book. This is a book where Stover really takes advantage of that blank slate in the post-OT canon between RETURN OF THE JEDI and HEIR TO THE EMPIRE and exploits it for all its worth. It revolves around the Battle of Mindor, the incident that persuaded Luke to resign his title as General. Let me tell you, he did have his reasons.

This is one of the first books that really does its part in referencing the Prequel Trilogy, making the timeline more cohesive, bringing many threads together. Not only that, but Stover really celebrates what made the OT great, giving his own point of view on the nature of myths themselves along the way. This is one of my favorite books, if not my current favorite, specifically because there are so many layers to peel back here and examine.

People might be thrown off by the cheesy dialogue/narrative through the first part of the book, but...you know...that's Star Wars, and Stover does all he can to show you what you've been missing. Fraking love this book. Praying for a sequel.


STAR WARS: HEIR TO THE EMPIRE
by Timothy Zahn
(4/5 Stars)

The importance of the Thrawn Trilogy can't be understated. Zahn's books essentially created the Expanded Universe and guided the direction where these stories would continue on in the two decades since its publication. I'm not overhyping it, either. These are quality books. All of your favorite from the Original Trilogy are here, and they are perfectly characterized. And the adventure is true Star Wars.

Not to mention Thrawn, who is probably one of the best villains ever, in any medium. The reason I can't give this book 5 stars is because...well...you cannot read this book without reading the other two. You just can't. Look at this as 1/3rd of a bigger book, because that's essentially what it is.


STAR WARS: DARK FORCE RISING
by Timothy Zahn
(4/5 Stars)

Again...wow. This is a great story, and it continues on very well here, with a lot of twists and turns along the way. There's not much I can say without spoiling the story, but this continues the story of Luke and the Gang as they try and outmaneuver and outwit Grand Admiral Thrawn, and this is not an easy task. Great sequel but, once again, this is the second part of a larger story. THE LAST COMMAND is the last book, but I'm still making my way through it currently. Hopefully, I'll have it read soon!


THE BLACK PRISM
by Brent Weeks
(2/5 Stars)

Brent Weeks is a great person, and a great writer when he wants to be. It just really seems like he cranked this out really quickly, though, because it doesn't have the polish or depth that a fantasy novel of this size should. People who have read his NIGHT ANGEL TRILOGY will notice similarities in characterization, dialogue, and even story.

He's mentioned GRRM's books several times as his inspiration, and it definitely seems as though Mr. Weeks is trying to emulate him in terms of scope, multiple POVs, and really just being a dick to his characters. But Brent really shines when he sticks to one character, which is why I loved THE WAY OF SHADOWS as much as I did. When he tries introducing so many characters, so many bits of information, and so many conflicts at once...he loses me, and he lost me big time here. Don't think I'll be buying the second book in this series, unfortunately.


TEST OF METAL: A PLANESWALKER NOVEL
by Matthew Stover
(5/5 Stars)

After giving THE BLACK PRISM a try and not really caring for it, I almost thought there was something wrong with me. I thought maybe there was something about the fantasy genre that just wasn't gelling with me anymore. That instantly changed when I started reading this book. It reminded me why I've been sticking with this genre for so long, and why I'm glad that I have.

I didn't know anything about M:TG lore when I started reading this, but you really don't have to. I was very rarely lost, but you do benefit from knowing some of the events that occurred in the previous book, AGENTS OF ARTIFICE. Still, ToM is a fantastic, mind-bending read. Stover handles the concept of a multiverse with all the subtlety of an astrophysics professor on crack, mercilessly introducing you to concepts that will make your head hurt for long periods of time afterward. Don't even get me started on the fight scene that takes you forward, backward, and SIDEWAYS through time. God...

I'm going to have to fiercely recommend this book to anyone who likes to be mentally stimulated. You might just learn a few things about life, the universe, and everything in the process.


OLD MAN'S WAR
by John Scalzi
(4/5 Stars)

This is the best science fiction novel that I've read in a very long time. Deep, yet subtle. Grand, yet simplistic in its presentation. Scalzi tells the story of John Perry, an elderly man who has just turned 75, and has also just joined the military branch of a mysterious organization. After wandering in ignorance for some time, Perry finds himself with a new, combat-ready body, and in the middle of a horrendous intergalactic conflict.

Scalzi channels the classics of the genre, all the while weaving together a great story that doesn't overstay its welcome. In fact, it seems to check out before dinner is served, which is one of the only detracting factors of this novel; it ends far too quickly, it's almost surprising! I'm currently making my way through the sequel, THE GHOST BRIGADES and loving it. If you haven't given this a try, I really must insist that you do!


That's pretty much it! There are plenty (a ton) of other books that I tried and failed to read this year, but I don't really want to talk about them. Maybe later.

Here's what I'm going to be attempting next year!

-WISE MAN'S FEAR by Patrick Rothfuss

-HIS FATHER'S FIST by Matthew Stover (Still gotta read the rest of the series. Some fan I am.)

-Any other Stover releases afterward.

-THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO by Alexandre Dumas (Seriously, this thing's huge.}

-STAR WARS: THE LAST COMMAND by Timothy Zahn

-THE LAST COLONY by John Scalzi

-SHADOW'S SON by John Sprunk

-THE EYE OF THE WORLD by Robert Jordan

-Any Dragon Age novels that should be released. You know there will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment