From Central California and Northern England, two aspiring writers natter and share a blog. We like to talk about our disparate but oh-so-similar lives, offer opinions on literature and movies... and endlessly reminisce about Bioware RPG's.


We hope you haven't had enough of our disingenuous assertions. If you have, please don't hit us.

Friday, December 31, 2010

100 Words Part 3: 9,200 Words


So damn close to 10,000 words... if only they would run an 8-day special event and I could have a round number!

--

So it's the end of the month, and that means I have another batch of 31 100-word-long stories to show-off.
Last September, Battlechantress at the Fanfic Forums let us all know about 100words.com - a 'Social tasking' site, or a writing' game where, once you sign up, you must write exactly 100 words every day for a month. Some people use it for a blog, some people write poems, some stories, and some like Battlechantress, Knightfall and myself use it for a combination of them.

--

This month, I wrote a Christmas and Christianty theme, as well as an ongoing fantasy story with a daft twist. I wasn't going to bother after October and November, but my mate Chris was doing it and I wanted to write alongside him.

So here is Chris' batch for the month.

And here is Chantress'

And here is Knight's excellent October one...


-----

AND - here are MIIIIIIINE.

My October batch (Halloween/superhero theme, ongoing mad scientist story)

My November batch (theme of memory / history)

And my all new, super-smashing December batch!

---
After coming up with 92 ideas for these little pieces (some of them good, some of them clearly rushed...) I am exhausted. I have really enjoyed this game, and will almost certainly be having a few more goes sometime in 2011.

Till then, here's a few of my entries from this month:


1.

In the beginning was the word. The word was 'Strewth': God's truth. It was a contraction. It was the beginning of the evolution of language.

God had created Uluru, and around that he had created Eden. It was a land of desert and grass, which held and blended every facet of the beauty of the Earth. Monsters roamed and patrolled Eden, and coral lay around its edges like a halo, but more colourful. The people he would place there would be beautiful.

It was an experiment, a prototype. He thought maybe it was a bit much. But it was good.



14.

Sophia has one of those wedding dresses that actually looks kind of boring, plain. It's basically just an ordinary dress, except white. We could have bleached one of her regular dresses. But she doesn't need a fancy costume. Nothing could make her more beautiful t- no, it's a bad dress. I wouldn't have picked it.

She likes it, obviously. I catch her eye and she gives me her new smile. It's like the awkward, secretive one she gave me for ten years, but now it ends with her thrusting her head forward a touch, sweetly. Yeah. I finally won you.


25.

An angel watched over the spectacle of the messiah's birth, its expression unreadable.

This was not a handsome man with feathery wings and white clothes. Angels are indescribable. And I don't mean like you think that very lovely view you saw is indescribable, or the beauty of the girl you loved. I mean truly. It's not just that I can't describe it, either. I don't mean to use the word as an excuse for my poor vocabulary. Not this time, anyway. The angel was indescribable. Incredible.

The mother below held God incarnate in her arms and worried about a census.

No comments:

Post a Comment