From Central California and Northern England, two aspiring writers natter and share a blog. We like to talk about our disparate but oh-so-similar lives, offer opinions on literature and movies... and endlessly reminisce about Bioware RPG's.


We hope you haven't had enough of our disingenuous assertions. If you have, please don't hit us.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Going on about 'Good Omens', Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Tori Amos



I don't really have anything to write about today, but I feel like it's been a while since I've posted here and I just got a new programme that makes my keyboard sound like a typewriter! And it's really therapeutic. So - I'm going to use this blog like a diary and just talk.
The last few days I've been reading 'Good Omens' by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. At about halfway through, I'm absolutely loving the book. It was recommended by the nice lady at The Critical Fiction Den - and thank goodness because otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered (more on that later). But I'm getting that feeling of pure enjoyment from a book now - I rarely get this - when every chapter is perfect, and you carry the thing around with you at all times. I've been reading this in bed, in company, in the car (parked), whilst walking, crossing roads, listening to Best of Queen tapes... last night I dreamed that I was at a party in my honour, and met a girl... and carried on reading 'Good Omens' at a table in the corner.

It's dry, dark humour, nothing all that special in its style or plot - but just very very funny jokes and sardonic observations. I think it's just perfectly tailored to my tastes.

I say I normally wouldn't have read it because of the authors - I hate to criticise Terry Pratchett because he's living my dream, and he's a role model for me. A humble, pleasant, hugely talented British author - and more than that, one whose author photograph has genuinely shaped my life and ambitions. I got a copy of 'The Colour of Magic' at high school and looked at him with the big black hat and the beard and leather jacket... with a description full of self-depricating humour and 'lives behind a keyboard' and thought, 'that's what I want!' Now I'm bearded, typing comedy and SF/fantasy, and I still haven't been able to throw away my big, black hat. I don't wear it in public anymore, but it's still here.
But... I didn't particularly enjoy 'The Colour of Magic' at school. A few weeks ago I found it again, and had another go. (Largely because of 'Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor') I only got a few chapters in before getting bored. I dunno... it's clearly a very good book, I daren't say I didn't like it, but maybe it's his style. Or maybe I'm an uncultred Nintendo-generation git with no attention span. I still find the book very hard to follow, and the characters very hard to care about.


As for Neil Gaiman (no cartoons for him, he's too handsome) my experience is a little better, but much more recent. I became aware of him by listening to Tori Amos records (I believe the two of them are good friends, as she mentions him sometimes in her lyrics). I knew only that he was Amos' mate, and he wrote very successful graphic novels. And graphic novels made me feel uneasy. I'll tell you something else, I hate that term. They're not novels, people. I can see why you wouldn't feel the term 'comic books' is appropriate, but they're sure as hell not novels.
Anyway, I did eventually watch some films based on his work - 'Mirrormask' (which I liked) 'Stardust' (which I really didn't like) and 'Coraline' (which was amazing). Early this year I read the children's book Coraline and liked it too... and started hating how Americanised the movie was! I bought a copy of 'American Gods' but so far it's just been sat on the shelf, looking large and intimidating, whispering in a sickly voice about graphic novels and Tori Amos pretentiously standing up to play piano. *
After this, I will have to find time to give it a go. And maybe even 'The Colour of Magic' again, too.
This book by the both of them is just brilliant. I don't know if they were both having a good day, or if they just compliment each other perfectly, or what. But this book just seems flawless to me. The experience of reading it is pure fun - no boredom, no confusion, nothing bad to say about it. Not one thing... so far. Just a very funny book about an angel and a demon and the antichrist and the horsepersons of the apocalypse, that I can't put down. I haven't felt this way since 'The Princess Bride', or the last half of 'Ender's Game' (after the Giant's Game was introduced and I let myself enjoy it).

* I do find her pretentious, but Tori Amos is amazing. Amazing. I don't know much about music, but I really, really love her albums.
It;s jsut that need my performers and artists to be humble - once they start wearing sunglasses or big hats, like Duncan Banatyne I'm out. Tori Amos is one of those who is just so good that I don't even mind her showing off and talking rubbish.
I should do another blog about her, but now I have to go to work. I really like to think of her as a 'musical poet' rather than a musician. The music is fantastic, don't get me wrong, but her lyrics are really inspired. I have so many favourites.

Here's one which I... think is about Mary Magdalene? If so, it's damn good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyoVrbcgbO4&feature=related

1 comment:

  1. Sounds pretty interesting! I'd be willing to give Gaiman another shot (American Gods was very original and clever, but just waaay too wacky for my taste), and I haven't had a good experience with Pratchett either, so this could inevitably kill two birds with one stone. =D

    ReplyDelete