From Central California and Northern England, two aspiring writers natter and share a blog. We like to talk about our disparate but oh-so-similar lives, offer opinions on literature and movies... and endlessly reminisce about Bioware RPG's.


We hope you haven't had enough of our disingenuous assertions. If you have, please don't hit us.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Knight's Most Anticipated


With all of my video game options exhausted, and nothing but reading and writing on the horizon, I thought I'd make a little article detailing the releases on the horizon that promise to kill off many hours of my life.

GAMES:

Fallout: New Vegas - I absolutely LOVED Fallout 3. The exploration was top-notch, the story was sufficient while the sidequests were awesome, and the setting is one of the most memorable game worlds ever created. Not only that, but we got five well done expansions that did just that: expanded upon an already great game.

While there are only a few details out concerning Fallout: New Vegas, this new almost-sequel, it seems as though Obsidian Entertainment have figured out most of the more glaring faults of the last Fallout and corrected them. Expect warring factions, more difficulty options, a better control scheme, and deeper writing. This comes from the team that brought us the first Fallout games and the sequel to my favorite game, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 - The Sith Lords. While it wasn't a perfect game, it was by no means a terrible game (all things considered) so I have high hopes about this newest sequel to ANOTHER one of my favorite games. I have faith in you, Obsidian! Do me proud!

Release Date: Fall 2010

Fable III - After avoiding Fable II for as long as I did, I was surprised at just how much I came to love that game in the end. There was just something about it that provided almost everything that I've ever wanted in an RPG. It had a good story, an absolutely gorgeous game world, spectacular game mechanics, and one of the only co-op systems in RPG history. If only a few things were to change before Fable III's eventual release this year, I would be a happy knight. But it appears that Lionhead are interested in topping themselves again, and I wouldn't be surprised if they succeeded.

Fingers crossed for a better co-op system!

Release Date: Q4 2010

Dragon Age 2
- The first game in this series was the only game I've ever played that came close to recreating the magic I felt the first time I played KotOR. Bioware created a game where the characters game first (judging by the gameplay, it might have been accidental). It was very much like a proper D&D adventure, and while a great deal of the game's technical aspects were frustration, I still walked away from DA:O with a very warm feeling of accomplishment and completion.

This sequel has me concerned for a couple reasons. The first reason being the non-expansion that was DA:O - Awakening, which was very much a collection of false promises, wrapped up in a story that was good only because Gaider had a hand in it. To me, it damaged my view of the honorable company I had perceived BioWare to be, and had me concerned that they'd show the same haphazard concern for their legacy when making DA2. Secondly, DA:O was in production for nearly six years before it was released, as imperfect as it was. It will have been less than one and a half years after DA:O's release when DA2 is supposed to come out. We'll see about this. I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.

Release Date: February 1st, 2011

Poke'mon: Black and White Version - I've been craving a good Poke'mon game for years. Ever since the abysmal Diamond and Pearl Versions, I had all but given up on the franchise, since it, in many years, has shown no signs of originality. It seems that Nintendo are at least taking this sort of criticism semi-seriously, and the new DS entries actually look pretty good! I'm not holding my breath, but I would love for Nintendo to give me any reason to buy another Poke'mon game soon. I'm going through withdrawals!

Release Date: Likely to be Q1 of 2011 for North America

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - I didn't really care a whole lot for the first AC but its sequel is still one of my most favorite games. Not only did it finally deliver on every promise its predecessor failed to keep, but it doubled down on ensuring that it was historically accurate, making it a joy for history lovers like myself to play through it. Climbing to the top of Il Duomo should rest atop whatever list comprises my favorite gaming moments.

I'm not sure how Ubisoft was able to crank out a sequel for this game so damn quickly, but I'll take what I can get. I'm rather excited to see what else our favorite assassin, Ezio Auditore da Firenze, has gotten himself into these...those days. I'll be keeping my eye on this for sure.

Release Date: November 11, 2010

Alpha Protocol - Another one from Obsidian Entertainment, this is an RPG using Jason Bourne, Jack Bauer, and James Bond (the three "J.B's") as its inspiration, and runs on the same engine BioWare used for the Mass Effect series. It also places a lot of emphasis on its dialogue, while trying to make you feel like a genuine spy, depending on who that spy happens to be in your mind. You can be violent, suave, or calculating, all depending on how you want to play.

But...that's all I know about the game. So, while I'm probably gonna be preordering it, I'm really not sure if I'll actually get it. Red Dead Redemption might rob me of my spendable funds before then. xD

Release Date: June 1st, 2010

BOOKS:

Firefly: Still Flying - Once upon a time, I lamented over the early cancellation of one of the best sci-fi television shows of all time. Now...not so much. As details of how future episodes would have played out emerged, along with how the comics played out, I began to realize that it was best that Firefly ended on a high note. That's not to say I'm not interested to see how the lead writers of the show would have handled the stories. This new book will have a collection of short stories that continue the adventures of Serenity, as well as display things like the earliest sketches of the eponymous Firefly-class starship.

Release Date: May 25th, 2010

God of War - It's a Stover book. 'Nuff said.

Release Date: May 25th, 2010

Test of Metal: A Planeswalker Novel - Not only is this a Stover book, but it takes place in the realm of Magic the Gathering, the lore of which I'm completely unfamiliar with. I played the game a few times, but could never quite get into it. Color me interested, though, to see experience the lore of this game through Stover's eyes.

Release Date: October 5th, 2010

The Black Prism by Brent Weeks- Once upon a time, I impulse-bought a fantasy novel with a kickassassin on the cover. The Way of Shadows, as well as the subsequent books in the trilogy, would change my perspective on books; they made me a more critical reader. The trilogy was a success, though, to me, there was so much that could have been done better. So began my quest to figure out just what made them good to a wide audience, and what my exact problems with the books were.

I even had a chat with the author once after the release of the first novel, which was just plain awesome. It can do wonders to a young author's self-esteem by having even minimal contact with your peers. He's a down-to-earth guy, and was very encouraging to me when he didn't have to be, so I'll be giving this book a fair shot when it's eventually released. Though, its main selling point was that it boasts a color-based magic system, but I'm pretty sure Brandon Sanderson already did that with Warbreaker.

Release Date: August 25th, 2010

MOVIES:

Predators - As a general rule, I watch almost anything that Robert Rodriguez has a hand in (with the unregrettable exception of the Spy Kids trilogy and Sharkboy and Lava Girl). This reimagining of the Predator series of movies sounds like it was truly a labor of love, as Rodriguez has been working on this script for over 15 years, and already, based on what I know, it sounds like he's crafted a retelling of The Most Dangerous Game using Predators, which sounds fucking awesome. Even though Rodriguez isn't directing it, as he's had his hands full with Machete, it looks as though he's still keeping a very close eye on everything. I'm so there.

Release Date: July 9th, 2010

Machete
- Again...Robert Rodriguez. This movie is based on the faux trailer that preceded his fantastic Grindhouse flick, Planet Terror. The outcry for a real movie based on this trailer was so overwhelming that he actually, ya know, did it. I'm anxious to see what happens when someone fucks with the wrong Mexican.

Release Date: September 3rd, 2010

Let Me In - I only just recently saw the foreign adaptation of the Swedish vampire love story the other day, and it was...interesting. Hell of a payoff at the end. Now, it looks like Cloverfield director, Matt Reeves, will be taking a shot at an American adaptation. Based on that alone, I really wanted to see this. But now that I know that Hit-Girl from Kick-Ass will be playing the vampire love interest, this is a must see.

Release Date: October 1st, 2010

Paranormal Activity 2 - Without questioning my sanity, know that Paranormal Activity was one of my favorite movies of last year. Not so much because the story was fantastic, but that the filmmakers worked really hard to get it made, and turned out to be damned scary at times (to me, at least). I'm all for a sequel, though I hope they don't go the way of the Saw franchise.

Release Date: October 22nd, 2010

Area 51 - This is actually from the director of the first Paranormal Activity. It will be a found-footage film that revolves around a group of friends who encounter the infamous air force base and the crazy incidents that follow.

Release Date: 2010

Red Dawn - I remember watching the original and loving it long time. It's hard to watch these days, due to its corniness, bit it's still a fun concept. A remake will be coming out this year, this time putting the Chinese in charge of taking us Americans down a notch. Depending on how this turns out, I can almost guarantee that I will also love this movie long time. Very excited for this one.

Release Date: November 24th, 2010

1 comment:

  1. yeah:) good choice of games, and brent weeks is just plain awesome XD. Don't know about your movies though

    ReplyDelete