From Central California and Northern England, two aspiring writers natter and share a blog. We like to talk about our disparate but oh-so-similar lives, offer opinions on literature and movies... and endlessly reminisce about Bioware RPG's.


We hope you haven't had enough of our disingenuous assertions. If you have, please don't hit us.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Book Review: The Crystal Shard by R.A. Salvatore


I had never read a single work of fantasy before I first read The Crystal Shard three years ago (unless you count Harry Potter, which I wouldn't). It all just didn't make sense to me. My mind could not wrap itself around a genre in which magic and elves were the norm. It could not. My friend had been pressuring me to read R.A. Salvatore's books for years and years and I always refused. But one day, I was leaving to stay at my uncle's cabin for a few days and I didn't have much to take with me as a means of entertainment. So I reluctantly took along my friend's old first edition TSR copy of The Crystal Shard.

With everyone asleep and my back to the fireplace, I started reading: and I didn't stop until my eyes were almost completely dried out and tired. Every night, all I did was read that book: the introduction of the drow, Drizzt Do'Urden, sprinting across the tundra of Icewind Dale; the halfling, Regis, carving scrimshaw on the shores of a lake near Lonelywood; Bruenor Battlehammer's crafting of the legendary weapon, Aegis-Fang. All of it was burned into my mind, followed me all the way back home, and invaded my waking thoughts long after I had finished the book. I could not forget what I had read for the life of me. I read the next two books in the trilogy, Streams of Silver and The Halfling's Gem, later that week.

This book, as well as the rest of this trilogy, is so important to me that I'm STILL afraid to read the rest of the series for fear that the story will lose that magic, and I never want that to happen. The Crystal Shard delivers on every promise that its opening poem holds. The characters are unforgettable and unique as they are quirky. The action is fast and wonderfully detailed, which Salvatore is very much known for these days, thanks to his work as a bouncer. The story is good, as well, revolving around a weak almost-mage who happens upon a powerful relic that grants the wretch almost anything he wants in the world, which happens to involve the destruction of the Ten-Towns of Icewind Dale. It's then up to the four friends, Drizzt, Bruenor, Regis, and Wulfgar, to stop him.

Looking back on it three years later, it's not hard for me to see why this series has so many outspoken detractors. There are cliches abound in this debut entry, I won't lie. This was written by a man who must have loved Tolkien as much as I love these books. But, to me, Salvatore is one of the few authors who understand the spirit of fantasy stories: high adventure and how friendship can conquer even the worst of demons. It's the reason why people STILL play D&D, and why World of Warcraft is an international phenomenon, the thought that ordinary people can do fantastic things worthy of legend. To me, Drizzt and the gang are definitely worthy of such status.

I've read a few authors who will say, "Yeah, I read those Forgotten Realm stories, but I moved on." To hell with them, says I. Personally, I don't think I'll ever be able to move on, not until death. Even after all the fantasy novels I've read since, that feeling of pure engagement with this story and its characters that I had will likely never be matched. I still see those four adventurers departing Icewind Dale, taking their first steps on their journey to find the Mithral Hall, and even after three years I'm still running to catch up.

The Crystal Shard
Amazon.com|Amazon.co.uk|Book Depository

The Icewind Dale Trilogy
(includes: The Crystal Shard, Streams of Silver, and The Halfling's Gem)
Amazon.com|Amazon.co.uk|Book Depository

3 comments:

  1. I completly agree, this book was an amazing experience, but the rest of the stories actually keep up the heart and soul of this series! I wholeheartedly recommend you read them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably will. I've been aching to read another Salvatore book lately. Really, really badly, actually! xD

    I'll probably be starting the Dark Elf Trilogy as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of getting rich in World of Warcraft?

    You should Install the DYNASTY: TYCOON GOLD ADDON.

    It will automatically suggest the BEST gold strategies in the game, in real-time.

    ReplyDelete