From Central California and Northern England, two aspiring writers natter and share a blog. We like to talk about our disparate but oh-so-similar lives, offer opinions on literature and movies... and endlessly reminisce about Bioware RPG's.


We hope you haven't had enough of our disingenuous assertions. If you have, please don't hit us.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Dragon Age: Origins - Darkspawn Chronicles

BioWare must read this blog and not like us very much. That's the only explanation I can give for the semi-announcement of the newest DLC adventure in Ferelden called Dragon Age: Origins - Darkspawn Chronicles.

There are a few choice aspects of the original game that Buch and I agree became annoying. One was the Landsmeet, and the other was the number of similar-looking darkspawn that you had to kill. I find more variety in a bag of M&Ms. But as if to say, "Well, if you do things long enough, you'll like it eventually," they are releasing this package that makes it all too inevitable that you'll be killing MORE darkspawn.

Just like EA/BioWare to sell you a $40 expansion, where you put a permanent end to the Blight, and then turn around and sell you another package where you have to further contain the Blight. They really gotta make up their minds here.

Now...I'm going to try and stay positive. This comes only a day after the announcement of more useless DLC for Mass Effect 2, so I still might be feeling the aftershocks here. The description for this particular chronicle states that it will "extend the life" of the original game, so god only know what the hell that could mean. For now, I will sit on my hands and try not to rant any further. We have two weeks until its release (May 18th), so I'm sure we'll find out more about it in the meantime.

Let's just hope it's nothing like another set of chronicles that BioWare is infamously known for.

Source: kotaku.com

5 comments:

  1. Surely every installment of Dragon Age (except the first novel) counts as 'Darkspawn Chronicles'!!

    Now I admit I haven't read the kotaku link, but:

    Maybe you're playing AS the Darkspawn this time.

    Also, regarding your point about the end of the Blight: Maybe you're going into the Deep Roads to finish those mothers off. My brother and I agree - the Wardens need to get it together and actually help the dwarves. In war, victory, in peace vigilance?? How about in peace, going into the Deep Roads?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing what I know now about the story after the game and The Stolen Throne, I could get behind a game that would have you helping the dwarves to liberate the Deep Roads. BioWare would just have to do a lot to make those places really visually appealing.

    But other than that, I'm burnt out on killing darkspawn willy nilly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I hear you. I'm sick of darkspawn too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Update: according to the Bioware Facebook update, you're playing the Denerim battle as the darkspawn!

    ReplyDelete