From Central California and Northern England, two aspiring writers natter and share a blog. We like to talk about our disparate but oh-so-similar lives, offer opinions on literature and movies... and endlessly reminisce about Bioware RPG's.


We hope you haven't had enough of our disingenuous assertions. If you have, please don't hit us.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Buchanan Writes Again


This is another of the more personal entires from me. I've had a sort-of writer's block (or a lack of interest in writing) for a while. I suppose it's more a lack of confidence, actually.

As a consequence, all I've written lately has been a poem, a bad fanfic and a very short story which was experimental, and I really dunno how it turned out. I guess I've been kind of disheartened lately, for various reasons, and I got into the habit of reading instead of writing. After I got tired of that I got to playing games again.

So the upshot of all this is, I'm working on a new story! Not fanfic, either. I want to get a couple of original pieces of work under my belt before I start my English degree in September.

--

This one is a sci-fi short, but science fiction in the literal sense, not space opera. It's set in a future where robot workers have all but eliminated the need for human labour. As people struggle to fit into the new way of life, somebody takes advantage and builds all the robots to be 'male'. The story is about Elise, a lonely woman who makes a life-companion of one of the robots, and obsessively attaches herself to it.

(Holy crap... it's Kimberly Brooks! Good actor, hey!)

I guess I'm stealing the setting and concept from I, Robot and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? It will have that sort of feel to it, anyway. But it's also allegory about sexism being inherant to societies. I'm still working out my plot, and trying very hard to get my Feminist point across, and to not make it look like the exact oppisite. Allegory is hard.

It's been a while since I really put my all into a story and was completely proud of the result. I think it's time to stop moping and do it again.



Looking back on my computer... I realise I actually started this thing last July! Bloody hell! I'm going to re-design the story and write this. I need an ending...

The title will be Synthetic Autonomous Man. Indulge this post - I'm a lazy artistic soul, woe is me until the muse takes me, etc etc.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! Hope it becomes fun to write. That's what matters. =D

    ReplyDelete