From Central California and Northern England, two aspiring writers natter and share a blog. We like to talk about our disparate but oh-so-similar lives, offer opinions on literature and movies... and endlessly reminisce about Bioware RPG's.


We hope you haven't had enough of our disingenuous assertions. If you have, please don't hit us.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

More Twilight bashing


I promise this will by the last time I use this blog to whine about Twilight, and I will try to shut up about it in general.




I'm still reading it, and I'm about half way through. I'm enjoying the humour and the lovely, romantic fantasy. The sheer charmingness of Edward is nice, even if it is ludecrous, badly-described and startlingly misogynistic.

He's handsome, he's smart, he loves classical music, he's a loner with lots of secrets, he's graceful, strong and gifted, funny and in a slightly mean way. Best of all, his relationship with Bella (AKA the reader inserted into the plot) consists entirely of instances of her getting into trouble and him rescuing her. She is utterly helpless, and literally feels faint when he speaks. Yes, literally.

See what I mean? I am enjoying the book (though I still resent Meyer's ridiculous success) but I just can't talk about it without entering into these prolonged rants.

Anyway, I was reading yesterday and Edward finally came clean about being a vampire. And I started wondering if that proves Christianity. You know, he's a vampire. So what does that mean? Doesn't that imply the existence of God, or at the very least, some kind of magic? Why doesn't this occur to Bella? This is Earth-shattering.

And I wrote a short parody about it, which also takes potshots about all the other issues I was whining about.

That's right, this whole post was just a way to get you to read my new fanfic.

Click here if you please.

2 comments:

  1. Read it, loved it, reviewed it!

    I gotta say, the worst part of Twlight for me, a guy who still refuses to read it, is Edward, the collective crush of the millions of airy teenage girls owning the whole series.

    You pointed it out in your post--startlingly misogynistic. I don't see Edward as romantic, I see him as a chauvinist.

    It grates me how people, Meyer included, have painted Edward into such a perfect person that he meets all the criteria of a Gary Stu.

    AblatedCrayon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review Crayon!

    It's true, Ed is a Gary Stu and Bella is almost a Mary Sue. But in fairness, it's the plot I find sexist (she gets into trouble, he rescues, she swoons, and repeat) rather than Edward himself. Edward, frankly, is just as dreamy as they say.

    ReplyDelete